for all those of you,who don’t know what a paani puri or a gol gappa is,
it is a chat,and is traditionally called pani puri (pani in Hindi is water and puri means a puff).
To enjoy one of these sumptuous puffed semolina savouries, you have to pop the whole oblong-shaped deep-fried ball, which is slightly smaller than a golf ball, into your mouth.
Before you do that, poke a hole on the side which has a thinner wall, then fill it up with the black chickpeas and/or diced potato.
Pour into this small hole either or both of two types of water: the sweet and tangy tamarind water or the refreshing water blended with fresh coriander and mint leaves.
the tangy and sweet flavour that melts in your mouth will definitely make you reach out for this appetizer more and more…
so,here is how i make these paani puris..
i took me almost 20 mins to prepare it..
and the cooking time was almost 30 mins
and it serves 4..
For The Puri
- 1 1/2 cups semolina (rava)
- 1/2 cup plain flour (maida)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 bottle soda
- oil for deep-frying
For The Pani
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup chopped mint leaves (phudina)
- 1 cup chopped coriander (dhania)
- 5 green chillies
- 1 tbsp jaggery (gur)
- 2 tbsp tamarind (imli) pulp
- 1 tbsp black salt (sanchal)
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder
For The Sweet Chutney
- 1 cup jaggery (gur)
- 1 cup tamarind (imli) pulp
- 1 cup dates (khajur)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
For The Filling In Puri
- 1/2 cup boiled sprouted moong (whole green gram)
- 1/2 cup boiled and chopped potatoes
- 1/2 cup boiled kala chana (brown chick peas)
For the puris
- Combine the semolina, flour and salt in a bowl.
- Now blend-in the soda water to make a smooth dough, use a little oil at the time of kneading.
- Divide the dough into 6 parts and knead each part one after the other and make a long cigar type shapes.
- Then cut into small disc to make the puris.
- Roll-out into tiny puris and deep fry in hot oil till the puri is filled with air and golden in colour.
- When frying toss some hot oil on top of the puri so that oil helps it to bubble up.
- Remove on absorbent paper, allow to cool and keep aside.
For the pani
- Add all the ingredients and liquidate in a blender and blend it, sieve to get the pani and discard the solids.
- Keep in refrigerator to cool.
For the sweet chutney
- Combine all the ingredients and cook on a slow flame till the dates are completely cooked.
- Strain and discard the solid materials and allow to cool the smooth chutney. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Make a hole in center of the puri, fill it with sprouted moong, potatoes, and kala chana.
- Put little sweet chutney and fill remaining puri with pani and serve.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make more pani puri.
- Serve immediately.
hope you enjoy the recipe..do feel free to comment…