these packets have lured me my entire childhood. the moong/mung Dal that comes enclosed in these packets are a rich in protein , great for munching, and i love them more than ever..:) quite recently(read yesterday) i made my first attempt to make them. and they turned out just perfect..:) and here is what i did…
and i followed these instructions,
- Wash the mung Dal in water once or twice and throw away the water used.
- Soak them in enough water in a bowl with baking soda over night and then drain all the water.
- Spread the mung Dal on a cotton cloth for about 10 – 1 5 minutes or pat them dry with a towel. (No need to completely dry them. I did this to avoid spluttering.)
- Heat oil in a deep-frying pan or a small wok. When it reaches smoking point, turn down the stove to medium heat setting.
- Fry mung Dal in batches till they turn slightly golden brown or a shade lighter. It would take a couple of minutes. Frying the dal longer makes it harder to chew.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon and put them on a plate lined with paper towels so that extra oil is absorbed. Change the paper towels for each batch to make the Dal less oily. Each batch would take around five minutes to turn golden brown.
- Sprinkle them with enough salt and mix well.
- To make it hot, chili powder can be added.
- Cool the mixture and store it in an air tight container.
and this was what i got….yummy , munchy mung Dal made especially for me..(by me..) 😛